Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Water Moon

66 Purchase St, Rye, NY 10580
(914) 921-8880


The Water Moon Asian bistro in downtown Rye is an inviting option that serves both in-house and take out dining. It is open for lunch hours and is nicely situated in the middle of the busy Purchase Street. One weekday afternoon, I had cravings for Asian stir fry and thought of driving there for a lunch.


They have a full menu and I took my time to decide. One of the dishes I opted for was the vegetable fried rice that came nicely steaming in a mini steel serving wok. Carrots, broccoli and green beans make for a nice combination. It had a well rounded taste.


It reminded me of the Indian rice pulao that I make with peas and carrots. Indian chinese cuisine has a similar tasting dish that is made with Indian Basmati rice.


The next dish on my selection was the szechuan pepper corn tofu that came tossed and stir fried in a similar serving wok. I like the tofu to be well marinated and firm in texture. The mixture in this dish was with fresh vegetables and red chillies. It was as flavorful in taste as it looked. Crisp bamboo shoots with mushrooms and green beans. This is one dish that can either be overcooked and can get all mushy or it can be just right with the vegetable crispness maintained and the flavor balanced. I was glad that it turned out to be the latter.


The Lo mein was made with egg noodles and served mixed with fresh vegetables also. Sometimes I like to add more soy sauce to such servings but for this one the balance was correct. A bit of less salt is always nice to have in a dish since when eaten with other dishes on the table, the final taste comes out sharper. Altogether it was a good lunch outing. In case you happen to pass by for a weekday lunch you can surely find good value in the Lunch Special Bento Box options.