Sunday, March 31, 2013

Hummus Place

109 Saint Mark's Place, (Between 1st Ave. and Ave. A), New York, NY 10009
(212) 529-9198


Mediterranean cuisine spans several countries and we have always found it very soothing and welcoming especially with its focus on vegetables, fruits, grains and beans. Of course in New York City you can not miss the falafel sandwiches and the couscous. Taking time to find a good place to sit down and enjoy the flavors of this cuisine, I narrowed onto 'Hummus Place' for a Sunday afternoon lunch.


This place was authentic from the start and is also known for making their food fresh daily. The eggplant sandwich with a boiled egg was one combination that was something that I had not seen at other places. One bite into it and I was hooked. The hard boiled egg with the tahini made a very nice taste and different from the regular eggplant sandwiches. Also, the mango chutney added the correct balance in flavor.


The falafel came served on Tahini and green sauce. One of the best Tahini that I have tasted. Perfectly made and fried to perfection, they were quickly gobbled up.

Strained yogurt with za'atar and olive oil called 'Labane' was served as a dip. The touch of olive oil made the taste of za'atar come through. I have not tried it before but this was a good start. Will have to see how I can incorporate it into my own recipes.



As a side order, we had baked cauliflower with parsley tahini sauce which literally melted in the mouth. A full head of cauliflower made with the mildest of seasoning was quite soothing. A good healthy choice and something that I had not expected to be so tasty. Will surely remember to order this again.


The veggie couscous made of whole wheat grain and topped with vegetables came decorated with chick peas, raisins, caramelized onions and roasted almonds. A very nice combination and delicately made. This dish was served with a small bowl of clear soup, which I poured on top of my dish and it made it soft and slightly moist and hence perfect to eat.


There are three locations of this restaurant in the city, and the one in East Village was the one we tried. I am definitely keeping this one on my list for the next visit to the city.