Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tu Lu's Bakery

338 East 11th Street, New York, NY 10003
(212) 777-2227


I had heard about gluten free baking but had yet to try. So when I did find out about tu-lu's bakery on 11th street, I made it a must stop on a weekend. It turned out to be a good surprise. Located between 1st and 2nd avenue, it is a bright yet soothing shop with room to sit on barstools. The cup cakes looked nice and almost like regular cupcakes except that they are made of rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch.


I bought a sampler of about six cupcakes and a brownie. Tasting first the brownie, I hardly realized that it was gluten free. Soft and fresh, and with good chocolate flavor, it tasted just right. Sadly, it did not make to the pictures since it was over before I could get out the camera. Also three other cupcakes were taken over by my Husband and my sons. So those too are not in the picture.

The three here featured are the chocolate on vanilla cake, coffee / mocha on chocolate cake and blueberry icing on chocolate cake. They all tasted mild on flavor and just right. Not much use of color in the icing made them more appealing. Gluten free does make the taste a bit drier than regular cupcakes but that somehow I did not miss that. These versions did not take away from much from the taste or the texture of a regular cake.


There are mini cupcakes also in case you want to try more flavors at a time.
They are priced at $3.15 for regular size and $1.75 for a mini cupcake. Also more samplers of cookies and muffins, which I will try next time.


I did like the art work with the owl in the tree and the branding on the packages. The use of the traditional pink and brown (strawberry and chocolate) colors and the green of pistachio in the images and the branding is soothing to the eyes. A really nice place to pick up treats for people who cannot have regular cupcakes and of course for people who can and want a change.

No comments: