Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Blue Pig

121 Maple Street, Croton On Hudson, New York 10520
(914) 271-3850

What do pigs have to do with ice cream? Good question, but this is the name of a quaint little ice cream shop located in Croton on Hudson up north in Westchester county. I found about this place through word of mouth and decided to give it a try on a weekend when I was up for the drive.


As it turned out, the place took a little while to get to since this was the first time I had been to this part. The shop is a stand alone store without any trappings of a strip mall location, which I think adds to its uniqueness. It is located close to residences giving it a real neighbourhood feel. And yes, there is a "Blue Pig" standing outside to greet customers. Parking was a bit tricky.


The Blue Pig ice cream makers take pride in making all their ice cream from locally sourced ingredients and that too on a daily basis in small batches. On the flavor front they have some twists to the regular variety like Honey Vanilla with Lavender, Buttered Pecan and Maple Walnut to name a few that you will not find in most places. They really use fresh fruit and not the canned variety, which adds to the taste.


Quite obviously my kids had the M&M ice cream which was actually to my surprise quite refreshing from the other variations I have had in the past. I also tried an ice cream float that was on the menu. Serving sizes come in the usual range, though at times for me even a kiddie cone is sufficient as that way I can try more flavors.


The Buttered Pecan flavor that I tried, had a real home made taste to it and a feeling of purity. Especially after having gone through the some usual store bought variety in the recent winter months, this felt like a good healthy change.


And just in case you are interested, the Blue Pig also does cake and soups too. We did not try them, but from the looks of the quality, I believe that they will turn out to be a good option also in the winter time. They have Potato Leek and Black Bean that you can place orders for.


It turned out to be a fun trip and we will be back for more as the summer heats up to try more flavors. Also, close by is the Croton Point Park which is a big attraction for para sailing and a nice clean place for a picnic along the Hudson river.